Below are just a FEW of the many accomplishments we have made under his leadership:
- He wrote the first constitution for the church
- Established a food bank and clothes closet
- Organized the board of Christian Education
- Secured an occupant permit and named and dedicated the Aaron McCombs Education Building in August 1982
- During his first year at the church, 139 persons were united raising the membership roll to over 900 members
- A Federal Credit Union was established and opened for business
- A Child Development Center (CDC) was opened and the church received a tax-exempt number
- Eleven ministers were licensed and ordained to the gospel ministry
- Additional expansion and renovation was done to the building
- A bus ministry was organized
- Purchased other vacant properties that were near the church for church usage
- Adopted and helped to build a church in Jamaica which was dedicated in 2004
- Hired a full-time Minister of Music for the church
- Established a stronger ministry with the Mission Board. Our Mission Board established a new partnership with AmeriHealth for the District of Columbia.
- Organized Sign Language Ministry for church services.
- Again, looking to further the cause of Kingdom building, Pastor shared with the congregation his vision to “Embrace A Vision” to expand classroom space for more members to study God’s word in Bible study and Sunday School classes. More space is also needed for our youth and Mission Ministries.
A building permit was issued to the church for the new construction in 2006.
- Phase 1 of the construction was completed in 2011.
- Phase 2 of the program was started in 2015 and is now in process
- A letter offering the funds needed for this phase was given by Union First Market Bank.
- Phase 2 will consist of the expansion of the daycare center and completion of a new fellowship hall.
2017 was a historic year in the life of the church. We celebrated the 110th Anniversary of the church and the 35th Pastoral Anniversary of Pastor Shaw. When the retirement of Pastor Shaw was announced, a Pastoral Search Committee was initiated. In 2019, after 19 months of searching and conducting interviews, the church voted to call our current Pastor-Elect, Rev. Kenneth E. Rioland, Jr. After 37 years of service of Rev. Dr. Ishmael L. Shaw and Dr. Kathleen Shaw, a very grand Retirement Celebration was held on Saturday, September 28, 2019.
Paramount Baptist Church will continue to grow with the changes and improvements under the transition and guidance of our Pastor-Elect Rev. Kenneth E. Rioland, Jr. We continue to seek God's mercy and grace to take us higher and higher in His work.
- << Prev